May 09, 2016

Our flyers - Ben's story shows how learning to fly can inspire you, broaden your horizons and provide unexpected opportunities


Ben was introduced to Aerobility through Help for Heroes (he was medically discharged from the Army following an injury during a tour in Afghanistan). Ben successfully applied for a flying scholarship from The Air League (who are supported in this project by Boeing).  Ben has now completed 30 hours flying and is flying solo.  Ben plans to gain his Private Pilot’s License (PPL) this Summer and then apply to be a Commercial Pilot.  In preparation for his application Ben has gone back to College and is studying Science and Higher Maths. 

'Flying was something I always wanted to do but I had thought it was out of my reach.  Flying has opened doors for me and broadened my horizons.  I am so humble and grateful for the massive opportunities I have been given.  Everyone at Aerobility is so helpful and has done so much for me.  I have been so inspired by the circle of people I have met through Aerobility and I now have a real chance of a career in aviation.’

'A day me and my family will never forget was the presentation of my scholarship at St James’s Palace by Prince Philip in August 2014.  The unbelievable possibilities I have received through gaining my scholarship have been life changing.  Working towards a career in aviation has given me something to focus on and has helped me transition from my combat role in the Army.  Flying is so very different from my current job as a Mortgage Adviser and has definitely filled a gap.  My dream is to fly my wife and grandparents to France for lunch.  I am so proud that my daughter is planning to follow in my footsteps, she loves to fly, has joined the Air Cadets and is thinking about a career in Aviation.’


No comments:

Post a Comment